THE NEED TO MODERNIZE
Built in 1909, our building at 292 North Street has served Pittsfield well and without pause for more than a century. The historic structure is a downtown fixture-- both architecturally and as a health and recreation facility-- but generations of continuous heavy use have taken their toll on the original building and the 1980s expansion. Fortunately, the building is structurally sound and able to be modernized to 21st century standards. The Y is committed to downtown Pittsfield’s revitalization by providing a key anchor of activity seven days a week throughout the year.
“Being a single mom, I didn’t know how I was going to do this. You have taught my kids so much, and I just wanted to thank you.” - Jenny, Y Parent
Currently, the Y is the largest licensed, full-time, year-round child care program in Berkshire County. There is strong demand for child care, and each year we have long waiting lists, particularly for infant and toddler spots, as families appreciate our schedule (open from 6:30am-5:30pm) and high-quality care. We are rated a Level 2 in the Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) that assesses the quality of early education programs. The modernization we have planned will bring us up to a Level 4.
Expanding early education is important, as we know that when parents lack reliable child care, they miss an average of 8 days of work each year. A lack of quality child care correlates with decreased worker productivity, which has a negative impact on familial economic stability.
Improved facilities provide us with the tools to fulfill our mission. The Full of Possibilities project will position the Y to serve more people effectively and efficiently. Here’s how:
CHILD CARE RENOVATION
- Child care renovation will significantly increase the quality and size of the YMCA’s nationally accredited child development program. It will increase available slots from 70 to 95. Features include a new multi-purpose room, a STEAM (Science, Technology, Arts and Math) room, a staff break room, plus open play space to develop gross motor skills. High-quality, durable materials and a bright, inspiring theme will be used throughout.
REGULATION BASKETBALL COURT
- A regulation basketball court will be installed to support the Y’s thriving basketball program. The court will also provide space for group exercise classes, programs for older adults, and youth programs. Youth programs cultivate the values, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health and educational achievement.
INDOOR WALKING/RUNNING TRACK
- An indoor walking/running track for year-round use will be added above the basketball court to offer flat, smooth-surfaced exercise options in a monitored, climate-controlled setting. The Y will be the only facility in central Berkshire County with an indoor walking/running track, which encourages movement year-round.
STRUCTURAL AND FACADE IMPROVEMENTS
- Structural and façade improvements will bring vibrancy to North Street. Drafty and bricked up windows will be replaced with energy efficient glass to let natural daylight in. Failing mortar joints will be repointed at the façades on North and Melville Streets. LED lighting, and an energyefficient heating and cooling system will conserve energy.
In sum, Full of Possibilities will make the YMCA more energy efficient, increase the number of child care slots, modernize health and wellness facilities, and conserve an important part of our city’s architectural landscape and history. It will also have a long-term positive impact on Y membership and bring more people, more often, to downtown Pittsfield.
- 25 more high-quality child care slots
- Job creation
- 200 quality local jobs in the trades during construction
- 4 Child Care and 3 Human Service positions after construction
- A facility ready to meet 21st century health, wellness, and fitness needs for all
- Increased capacity and efficiency
- A stronger anchor to downtown Pittsfield
- A major point of community pride
HOW CAN I HELP?
All contributions to the Berkshire Family YMCA a 501(c)(3) charitable organization are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
WAYS OF GIVING
- Cash Gifts (In-Person, Mail, Online, Multi-Year Pledge)
- Gifts of Securities and Security Transfers
- Matching Gifts
- Memorials and Tributes
- Bequests, Annuities and Remainder Trusts