The Y: We’re for Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
STRONG SWIMMERS, CONFIDENT KIDS
The YMCA swim lessons increase accessibility and enjoyment of swimming to all ages and skill levels. The latest evolution of Y Swim Lessons accommodates varying abilities to help foster a sense of achievement as swimmers progress between levels. Through this approach, advanced swimmers flow more easily to higher levels while swimmers who need more instruction can learn at their own pace. This results in more confident swimmers who stick with lessons and develop a love for swimming that can last a lifetime. Our Aquatics staff members are available to answer any questions about the swim program and to help place your child in the appropriate swim level.
This program is offered through our Pittsfield and Northern Berkshire branches. While we continue to support efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19, we have updated our class structure and added COVID-19 guidelines.
New COVID-19 Guidelines for Swim Lessons
- No one should attend a lesson if not feeling well, has a fever, currently under quarantine, or has been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days. Personal health and safety are the responsibility of all parents/participants.
- Please do not arrive on deck more than 5 minutes before lesson start time.
- No parent/spectators allowed on the pool deck during lessons.
- We suggest coming to lesson with swimsuit already on, but locker rooms will be available to change (locker usage is not currently available).
- Please minimize personal items brought in as lockers are not currently available. All items will need to be hung in pool area or placed on pool deck near your assigned lane if not kept with parent/guardian.
Updates to Class Structure
The following lessons will require a family member age 16 years or older to be in the water with the child while instructor is on deck. Class size is limited to 4 kids (+4 adults).: (1) Water Acclimation (2) Water Movement (3) Water Stamina
The following lessons will be taught by an instructor from the pool deck (not in the water), so the skills of Water Stamina must be mastered by each participant prior to registering for these lessons. Class size is limited to 5 kids.: (4) Stroke Introduction (5) Stroke Development (6) Stroke Mechanics
Who can register?
How much does the program cost?
- 6 months - 5 years: $35 for 4 week 30-minute session twice per week
- 6 years -12 years: $50 for 4 week 45-minute session twice per week
- 6 months - 5 years: $25 for 4 week 30-minute session twice per week
- 6 years -12 years: $40 for 4 week 45-minute session twice per week
- Parents are asked to watch from the observation deck. There is NO OPEN SWIM DURING SWIM LESSONS.
- At least 2 children must be enrolled in a class for it to run. Class dates/times may change to accommodate enrollment.
We offer Swim Lessons year-round.
Aquatics Department Contact:
- Program Director - Pittsfield Branch, Brandon Rousseau: 413-499-7650 ext. 233 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the webform to submit a question to the Aquatics department now.
Pittsfield: September 17 - October 8, 2020 (Session times vary based on swim lesson level.)
Northern Berkshire: September 15 - October 8, 2020 (Session times vary based on swim lesson level.)
How do I choose the level that is right for my child?
- New to our swim lesson program? The swim lesson selector below is a helpful guide. Still not sure, speak to a swim instructor or Program Director.
- Already taken Y swim lessons? Discuss the appropriate next level with your swim instructor.
Free Youth Program
This program is eligible for our Greylock Coupon Free Youth Program Promotion.