To apply for this position, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Certified Lifeguard
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Pittsfield Corporate Office - 292 North St. Pittsfield, MA
- Northern Berkshire - 22 Brickyard Ct., North Adams, MA
- Bennington Recreation Center - 665 Gage St., Bennington, VT
Reports to: Program Director
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Certified Lifeguard of Berkshire Family YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined all while maintaining a safe and clean pool area. This induvial must be welcoming and respectful of all individuals; members, co-workers, youth participants, and all others who visit our facilities.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving and maintains a rigorous standard of safety at all times
- Knows and enforces all rules, safety procedures, and Emergency Action Protocols of the YMCA, reports any incidents or accidents correctly
- Maintains accurate records as required by YMCA and/or Department of Public Health or other applicable codes/standards/requirements.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants
- Cleans, monitors, and disinfects all applicable work space such as Fitness Center machinery and locker room spaces.
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service training
- All other duties assigned by management
- ADP Workforce for personal timecard management
- Microsoft Office 365 – Outlook, OneDrive, Excel Teams etc.
- Safety and rescue equipment found in an aquatic setting
- Various pool-related chemicals and cleaning supplies
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Previous Lifeguarding experience preferred
- Current Basic Life Support, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers & First-Aid certification or equivalent
- Current YMCA Lifeguard Certification or equivalent
- Ability to communicate and get along with people of diverse backgrounds is required
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, climb ladders, walk, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- Must maintain vigilant and alert at all times while guarding
- Must maintain ability to demonstrate physical and mental capacity as well as technical skill retention as required by certification
- Must be able to work in both indoor and outdoor settings while exposed to the environment of an indoor pool setting as well as the exposure to heat, sun and other summertime elements of an outdoor pool setting.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Employee will take the initiative to assist in aiding development in others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Berkshire Family YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.