I am writing with an update on how the BFYMCA is responding to the growing concern of COVID-19. As stated in our email on Monday, March 9th, we still believe the best way to protect yourself is through good hygiene practices:
- Wash hands frequently, for at least 20 seconds. This will kill the virus on your hands and prevent its spread.
- Utilize the hand sanitizer available throughout the building before and after using equipment or touching other surfaces like doorknobs, countertops, etc.
- Use the fitness center wipes provided to wipe down equipment before and after use. It is approved by the Environmental Protection Agency for its effectiveness in killing COVID-19.
- Use a tissue and dispose of it if you have a runny nose. Cough or sneeze into elbows or tissues, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- If you or your child are showing the following symptoms(persistent cough, are experiencing shortness of breath, and/or have a fever) please stay home.
However, we recognize that it takes the entire community working together to decrease the risk, and the Y is prepared to do our part. As of today, March 12, the following program changes will take place:
- Indoor Soccer - Postponed for 2 weeks. Programming will resume on March 28 and the season will be extended until April 25.
- Swim Lessons - Start date postponed 2 weeks. New start date is March 31.
- Volleyball - Start date postponed 1 week. New start date is March 31.
- Kids Night Out-Pittsfield Branch - Will resume on April 3.
- Deep Water Exercise Pittsfield - Canceled
Please note that there are NO program changes for membership, childcare, school-age, and supervised visits. We will be evaluating the situation daily and will continue to provide updates.