To apply for this position, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Fitness Instructor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Pittsfield Corporate Office - 292 North St. Pittsfield, MA
- Northern Berkshire - 22 Brickyard Ct., North Adams, MA
- Bennington Recreation Center - 665 Gage St., Bennington, VT
Reports to: Health and Wellness Director
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the guidance and the supervision of the Health and Wellness Director, The Fitness Instructor is responsible for leading both beginner and experienced exercise in a safe, effective, and respectful class environment. The goal of this programming is to assist members in making healthy lifestyle changes, build self-esteem, meet individual wellness goals, and to encourage consistency. The group fitness instructor is expected to demonstrate a professional manner at all times when in the facility, including personal time spent in the facility.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Lead energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, supervised by the Health and Wellness Director, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Answer questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living.
- Maintain current and appropriate knowledge ad credentialing as it relates to your specific content area in order to provide effective support to members
- Build authentic and meaningful relationships with members and class participants
- Assist members in connecting with each other, the YMCA and their community
- Promote the existence and welfare of a robust fitness class schedule through attendance and a positive attitude
- Keep accurate and pertinent records
- Maintain appropriate equipment, and facilities. Monitor wellness areas for safety and cleanliness
- Communicate all questions and concerns with the Health and Wellness Director as pertaining to schedules, members, facilities, equipment or other applicable categories
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures
- Abide by all safety, injury and illness prevention guidelines, taking exceptional personal responsibility for own safety and safety of program participants; respond appropriately to all emergency situations
Equipment and Software
- ADP Workforce for personal timecard management
- Microsoft Office 365 – Outlook, OneDrive, Excel Teams etc.
- Various fitness equipment in the wellness facility
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certification, or within one month of hiring
- Certification in area(s) of expertise Or Two + years of experience teaching courses which do not require a national certification
- National Strength Training certification (ACE, NASM, NSCA) preferred
- College coursework in exercise physiology, physical education, or athletic training preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, climb ladders, walk, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- Conduct classes and activities for the full duration
- Ability to lift amount of weight commensurate with course requirements
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Employee will take the initiative to assist in aiding development in others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Berkshire Family YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.