Job Title: Maintenance Staff/Custodian
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Pittsfield Branch - 292 North St., Pittsfield MA 01201
Reports to: Facilities Director
Revision Date: 2/6/2020
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Facilities Director of Berkshire Family YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined while also overseeing the maintenance and improvement of YMCA facilities and it’s equipment.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Assists in Day to Day custodial needs based on branch needs for the day.
- Performs various duties such as vacuuming, maintaining entrances, locker rooms, hallways, and various rooms and offices throughout the facility.
- Reports items that need repair.
- Performs sidewalk/exterior clean up.
- Disposes of trash.
- May set up furniture for special events.
- Performs preventative maintenance as needed.
- Create a nurturing and safe environment by reporting suspicious activity that may lead to child abuse or may violate the code of conduct. Keep supplies organized, maintain and clean facility and care for equipment.
- Assists in closing and opening of the facility.
- Must have the ability to use equipment and chemicals in prescribed manner, including ability to read labels, SDS information sheets, and instructions.
- Other Duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Six months or more of related experience preferred.
- Must be able to read.
- The ability to communicate and get along with people of diverse backgrounds is required.
- CPR/AED and First Aid certificate preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, climb ladders, walk, shovel snow, plow snow, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- The work is performed both indoors and out,
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.