The Y: We’re for Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
For over 40 years, Berkshire Family YMCA has hosted "The Game," a morning pick-up basketball league on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 7:00 - 9:00 AM, with special opportunities on select Monday holidays, known as Holiday Hoop. Despite the mellow, informal culture, the competition is energetic! Active BFYMCA Membership or Day Pass required to play. No program fee.
Our Pittsfield branch hosts morning pick-up basketball on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 7:00 - 9:00 AM. The league was on hiatus due to the pandemic but will resume Monday, June 28, 2021. Players are encouraged to arrive early to secure a spot. If you're interested in starting a league at another branch location, reach out to the Welcome Center.
League rules (tried, true, and time-tested):
- Member-led league.
- Organizers and players demonstrate the Y's Core Values: Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, Inclusion.
- Stress good sportsmanship and respect for the game and each other.
- Open to all.
- Top-of-the-line indoor basketballs used.
- Up to 18 players allowed.
- Players encouraged to bring a white shirt and a dark shirt; we do not play shirts and skins.
- The Game Commissioner makes the teams.
- Every player plays the same amount of time. “The Game” has systems in place to assure equal playing time with balanced teams. If a player arrives as the 18th player, he/she will play promptly. If a player is #19, he/she must wait until somebody leaves.
- The end lines are standard out of bounds, but the side lines are in play except for touching the west wall and hitting anything other than the floor on the bleachers/backpack/ clothes storage, east side of gym. We stop when someone is on the floor.