CAMP ABENAKI 2 LOCATIONS NORTH ADAMS, MA
BEST SUMMER EVER 2019
BERKSHIRE FAMILY YMCA’S NORTHERN BERKSHIRE CAMP FAQ’S
Questions? Kathy Mancini, Camp Manager, 413-663-6529 x 245, email@example.com
CAMP ABENAKI - 2 Locations Ages:
Entering K - Grade 2
Northern Berkshire YMCA
22 Brickyard Court, North Adams
Ages: Grade 3 - Grade 8
Windsor LakeNorth Adams, MA
$85 per Camper per Week
WHY CHOOSE THE Y FOR YOUR CHILD'S SUMMER?:
Camp provides a safe place for kids where they will make new friendships, develop decision-making and problem-solving skills, learn about team building and much more. Berkshire Family YMCA’s Northern Berkshire Camps provide parents with an affordable option that also gives them peace of mind knowing that their children are safe, having fun and learning new lifelong skills. The Berkshire Family YMCA (BFYMCA) is committed to recruiting and developing an outstanding group of counselors and directors that are dedicated to providing the best possible camp experience. Many of our staff members are college students who have been Camp participants. The staff participates in extensive training, and our lifeguards are certified. All staff members are certified in First Aid and CPR, as well as CORI checked. In addition, the health care administrator is on-site daily. Policies and procedures are available in the camp office. Camp Abenaki in North Adams, MA must comply with regulations of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and be licensed by the local board of health.
At YMCA Summer Day Camps, caring professional role models create experiences that help youth build character, gain confidence, and learn friendship skills. All of our Y Summer Day Camps instill the Y’s four core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility into every activity, every day.
• Caring: Considerate to the feelings of others
• Respect: Treating others, the environment and yourself with dignity
• Honesty: Being trustworthy and truthful
• Responsibility: Accepting accountability for your actions and role in the community
CAMP ACTIVITIES: STEAM, SWIM & SPORTS!
Our Northern Berkshire Summer Day Camps offer curriculum in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math). Activities include studying fossils, nature, weather, astronomy, dance, music and talent shows! YMCA counselors provide hands-on lessons focusing on science experiments creating volcanoes, galaxies in a bottle, exploring engineering using circuit boards, Legos and tower building with environmental resources. Our Leaders in Training (LIT) campers will lead an environmental-based Community Outreach Project with the support of the younger camp groups.
• Free/Recreational swim time
• Field, group games
• Arts and crafts
• Frisbee Golf
• Sports, Play & Active Recreation for Kids
• Team building
• Traditional sports
PARENT PROVIDED DAILY SUPPLIES
Sneakers must be worn
Flip flops are permitted for swim
Water bottle - no glass bottles
Swimsuit and towel
Lunch is provided by YMCA for campers!
• CAMP ABENAKI: Children entering K – Grade 8
• Buckaroos: Entering K, must be age 5 (Camp Abenaki Only) & Pioneers: Entering 1st grade o Our youngest children begin the camp experience with the excitement of trying new things! Daily schedules provide a balance between active and quiet play and group and individual activities.
• Explorers: Entering 2nd grade o Our more experienced campers will enjoy new challenges and new excitement. We emphasize increased self-confidence, encouraging others, responsibility and team building.
• Voyagers: Entering 3rd grade & Trailblazers: Entering 4th grade o As the child grows so will his camp experience. Emphasis in this unit is on increased self- confidence, encouraging others, responsibility and team building. Campers may also choose their activities in the mornings and the afternoons.
• Pathfinders: Entering 5th-6th grades o Our most experienced campers will take leadership programs and specialized activities that are designed to be progressive and challenging, as well as fun and entertaining. As the oldest unit, campers may choose their morning and afternoon activities.
• Leaders in Training (LIT): Entering 7th-8th grades
o LIT campers will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with experienced counselors. They enjoy the schedule of the traditional campers with nature, arts and crafts, sports, and more. LIT campers will also lead a Community Outreach Project that connects with the environment. These campers learn how to become a counselor while also developing their leadership and team building skills that they will value throughout their lifetime.
• CAMP ABENAKI: $85 per Camper per Week
• Camp Abenaki, North Adams MA campers must have an active YMCA Membership through August 24, 2019 to register.
Visit bfymca.org or contact the Welcome Center for Y membership information.
Parent/Guardian Transportation Only: No bus transportation is available for Camp Abenaki.
• Parent/Guardian transportation to/from camp site. Drop-off: 9:00 a.m. Pick-up: 4:30 p.m.
BEFORE- AND AFTER-CAMP CARE:
No cost to attend. Pre-registration is required. There is no bus transportation for those who attend extended care.
Before- and After-Camp Care at camp site.
• Camp Abenaki, North Adams MA o Before-Camp Care: 7-9 a.m., Monday – Friday
o After-Camp Care: 4:30-5:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
The Berkshire Family YMCA offers Financial Assistance for children to participate in summer day camp. Eligibility is based on household size and income. Applications for Financial Assistance can be downloaded from our website – bfymca.org – or picked up the Welcome Center of either branch location. The Y reserves the right to deny or discontinue service at any time. Applications for Financial Assistance MUST be received at least two weeks prior to first camp week. Financial Aid is given on a first-come, first-served basis to qualified families. Vouchers are also accepted.
o Families must work or reside in the Y service area.
o Assistance will be granted on financial need for low income on a first-come first-serve basis.
o Financial assistance is for the current camp year only.
o Prior account balances must be paid in full before applying.
• How to Apply
o Applications must be filled out completely. See complete details on Financial Assistance Packet.
o Federal tax form and one month of current pay stubs or other form of income (SSI, food stamps, etc.) must be submitted.
o Copies of documentation must be provided.
o A registration fee of $25 is required for NEW registrants in order to process an application. This is a non-refundable deposit if you decide not to attend the camp.
o Applicants will be notified by mail of their award.
• Make all checks payable to the Berkshire Family YMCA, 292 North Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201.
• Camp fees must be paid in full the Friday before the week of camp by check or automatic EFT from a bank account or credit card. Put your child’s name on the check.
• Full Voucher or Partial Voucher with parent fee accepted.
• After the program has met twice, no credits or refunds will be issued.
• There will be a fee of $1 per minute for children who are picked up after 5:30 p.m. Please note that after camp care ends promptly at 5:30 p.m.
• Payments accepted at the YMCA only, not at Camp.
Three emergency contacts are required. Every effort will be made to contact a parent/guardian in the event of an emergency requiring medical attention for your child. However, if you or one of the three listed emergency contacts cannot be reached, per your registration form, you will authorize the program to transport your child to the nearest medical care facility to secure necessary medical treatment for your child.
PROVIDE CHILD HEALTH INFORMATION
• Proof of medical physical and immunizations by licensed physician within the last 12 months is required.
• Children with allergies must include individual health care plan and medication consent.
• Provide details of child’s sensitivities (i.e.: food, sensory, noise, etc.) and helpful tips.
• Children with chronic health conditions must include individual health care plan and medication consent.
• YMCA staff must be authorized (indicated on camp registration form) to apply sunscreen for my child.